Happy New Year (well, for me and all the Persians, Iranians out there).
OK, how about Happy First Day of Spring?
Will that do you? Oh how I miss Shropshire and our daffodils.
I've been joking with people in the last couple of weeks that I was looking for a New Year celebration date to start 2012 over, and this one seems as good as any.
Because frankly the start to the traditional calendar year has been a bit pooey.
I'm not even sure I can remember all the stuff we've been battling, but they include:
- Mr D being diagnosed to have diabetes and bladder cancer.....both which later proved to not be the case.
- Mr D being taken off a plane by paramedics in Chicago with chronic kidney stone pain and then not being able to get home for over a week.
- Two trips to A&E or as they call it over here, the Emergency Room....one until nearly 3am, the latter with Goth Child and Melchett in tow.
- Luca (our cat) going missing....then coming back only to be chased my a neighbour's dog and losing most of her back claws in the process (I'll show you a pic of her little bandaged legs in a minute).
- A car reversing into my beloved Hartley (my car) in a car park/parking lot.
- Me having the largest tooth infection our dentist had seen (that had caused a large abcess in my jaw....and I didn't know anything about it until they showed me the x-ray).
- Having to go to an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon to have the tooth pulled out and work done on the jaw.
- Me slipping into the bottom of my cyclothymia cycle and being quite depressed.
I think that's about it.
Anyway, that was all 'last year'......and with the start of Tempest's New 2012 things are going to be better....or we'll be having words.
But it's not all bad.
I did make some pretty clothes for the 'end of last year's' Sew Weekly Challenges:
So if you want to find out more about my Dr Seuss/Lorax tribute (the whole in Seussical-type rhyme), my Angel of the North, my Up skirt (no, not that type), my Life on Mars outfit, Pinky Blue dress, Green and Red challenges, my parachute maxi dress, my big threatening buttons shirt (which now actually fits me, wey hey!) or my 'two nations joined by a common thread' check out the full blog posts on Sew Weekly by hitting any of those links.
And would you like a sneak peek of what will be appearing this week for the Sew Weekly Mad Men challenge?
As you can see my photographer (Goth Child) and I had big fun on the photoshoot. You can see some of the prepping photos on my Absobloominglutely tumblr....which, if you're interested, is also the place to get sneak peeks of all my Sew Weekly challenges during each week.
Another happy time near the 'end' of 'last year', was being taken out by my lovely friends over here Paula, Rachel and Beth. We go out to celebrate our birthdays but as I don't celebrate my birthday I was told to choose a random date just to go out. We chose the Monday nearest to March 1st and went out for a pizza to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday (March 2nd) and St. David's Day (March 1st). Look what these lovely sillies presented me with:
Aren't they wonderful? Daffodils and a leek (Rachel was righly proud to have sourced these for me and had researched St. David, the patron saint of Wales) and Green Eggs and Ham converse......which I must, must, must get exchanged for the right size, Mr. D told them I'm a 7, which is true in the UK, over here a 7 is actually a 5....so they're too small boo hoo....but if I get my act in gear (which I am going to because it's New Year right, new starts, good intentions, new umph) I can ask Rachel to politely see if we can exchange them for a US 9.
I consider myself stupidly lucky to not only have been found by wonderful supportive friends back home in the UK....I'm looking at you in particular Maretta....but have been adopted by some women over here just as silly, fun-loving and quirky.
Oooh I promised you a pic of the poor old Luca as well didn't I?
Those were last week's pink bandages. She's had them rewrapped and is in blue this week....though fingers crossed she can have them off next Monday and be allowed outside again (she is soooooooooooo angry with me for not letting her out AND squirting antibiotics and painkillers down her throat).
OK, I'm off to celebrate the rest of this 'New Year's Day' and update/write my goals and dreams for the 'new' 2012. I'll show you them tomorrow.