I've just been looking at my planner. The next few weeks are going to be.....interesting:
- School starts again next Monday, with new hours and new routines needing to be formed for Goth Child, Melchett and their taxi service (me).
- The Olympics start at the end of next week....and I'm rather excited about them, especially them being in my old 'backyard'. I'm hoping to maximise my time watching as many of the events as possible.
- The normal keeping up with Sew Weekly challenges (see below for hints).
....and all of this PLUS because of a Sew Weekly challenge coming up in 4 week's time ("Music: inspired by an album cover or performer"), some of the next few weeks will involve making 2 outfits a week....yep, I'm doing a group......no, it's not the Osmonds.
But this week it's a "Reality Check" challenge on Sew Weekly and our instructions are to make "something missing from your wardrobe".
Now personally, if you'd asked me what was missing from my wardrobe my first few thoughts would be:
- a gold tuxedo jacket to go with my Dalek costume (.....Daleks have to attend awards ceremonies too you know);
- a shiny super hero cape (no matter what Edna from The Incredibles says about "NO! CAPES!");
- the red velvet dress that Scarlett O'Hara turns up to Ashley's birthday party in, in Gone With The Wind
- velvet smoking jackets in a variety of jewel-colours
- Irene Adler's pink satin visiting dress from Sherlock Holmes
...but I don't quite think any of this fit the idea of 'reality check'. Mind you, Einstein told us:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one".
So I thought I'd have a look at some advice about what staples every woman should have in her wardrobe and how mine matched up:
- Tim Gunn's 10 Essential Wardrobe Items for 2012 - I've got 3 out of the 10.
- Real Simple's Wardrobe Basics Checklist - didn't have 48 of the 'basics', did have 14....lots and lots of 'black', 'white' and 'camel' suggestions.
- The Simply Luxurious Life's 10 Wardrobe Essentials - got 3 out of 10, though this list is pretty similar to Tim Gunn's....well, obviously, the man is law.
- Dummies.com's Wardrobe Staples Women Must Have Among Their Clothing Items: remarkably the only things I own out of the whole list (13 items) are pearls and a black handbag!
Hahaha, perhaps my determination to find my own style (and my no longer being a suit...I probably did own most of these over 15 years ago) negates the 'must have' -ness of these items.
However...there is one item that pops up on many of these lists that I suspect most people would name as the number one wardrobe staple, that I don't own...
...can you guess what I'm making this week then? ;)