I'm still struggling but trying to tell my head I'm fed up with being depressed and I keep seeing wonderful creations people are sewing around the world and I WANT SOME! So let's see if I actually make it out of the pit this time. Fingers crossed, though that makes climbing more difficult....
Aaaaanyway, as a reward for finishing her end of year exams and AP Biology, Goth Child got to go to all three days of Phoenix Comicon. In the past we've made her a steampunk costume and 2 John Egbert outfits (from Homestuck....no, I don't really know either, but the teenscene (will get shouted at for saying that) are obsessed by it, and GC and her friends keep wanting to convert me, but I've got enough geeky obsessions already):
It's a Jane Maid of Life from the Homestuck God Tier (?) I can guarantee I got that wrong and will get shouted at for being so uncool. Actually, I'll get shouted for using the phrase "so uncool"....I can't win.
But this all she gave me to work from:
And this is what I made, by adapting McCalls 6658 and 6614 and using a couple of flat sheets bought from our local Goodwill. She seemed very happy with it......especially as I surprised her by spray painting a wooden spoon red too that her character carries.....you see, sometimes I do listen to her ranting on about Homestuck.
Fabric: One chocolate brown flat sheet and one beige flat sheet from Goodwill $5.98 (£3.91). Scrap of green cotton t-shirt from stash.
Haberdashery/Notions: Reclaimed elastic from stash (think it was reclaimed from a fitted sheet I used on another project), thread.
Time to complete: 14 hours of winging it.
First worn: 26th May 2013.
Wear again? Yep, Goth Child loved it.
Total price: $5.98 (£3.91).
I mainly used the long-sleeved top from McCall's 6658 and extended the front and back into the tails and pointy bits to match the drawing GC gave me. As the pattern is meant for a slightly stretchy knit I made it one size larger and made the scoop neckline slightly deeper to ensure she could get it on without struggling (I also knew I'd made the cowl bit of the hood long enough to cover any gape).
I used the same pattern for the elasticated trousers....meant to have a drawstring waist but I used elastic, and then I got her to try them on to work out where under her knee was to cut them off and loosely add elastic to give the pantaloons some shape.
The hood is based loosely on the hood from McCall's 6614 which I drafted a cowl (am I calling it the right thing?) two pieced egg shape to sew the hood into and seal with the second piece. This also gave it a little extra weight, as it was pretty lightweight being just a sheet.
If any of you can make sense of this, then this is sort of what I did.....this is why I will always be a winger of patterns and never a creator of one:
I know, rubbish. I'm sure you'll find some highly competant descriptions of how to make detached hoods on the internet and youtube. If I was my best self I'd have taken photos throughout the process to explain it better. But you get what you get with me at the moment.
The fake glasses and blue slip on shoes she stole from Melchett, we bough the cheapest longest white bandages we could find in Walgreens (think Boots dear Brits)....yes, I could have made some but they were $3.99 and sometimes buying things beats the time and effort making them. And the wig she bought at a previous anime convention and we had some fun hacking it into shape. How she wore all this in Phoenix's summer heat I have no idea, probably a good idea we made it from a couple of sheets instead of the knits she originally wanted.
Anyway, Goth Child loved it. And the thing she loved best....the flappy tails at the back, I wish I'd filmed it but she kept dancing around doing the flappy tail dance:
There. I posted something. It's taken me a stupid amount of time to edit those photos and write stuff. Need to get back into the swing of blogging again. Hopefully, I'll be back soon with something else. Wish me luck.