I suppose whenever of I think of a Doctor Who colour, it's usually TARDIS blue.
But with October fast running out, I've suddenly realised I need to get my red act together if I'm going make something red and Who-ey too for Red October (click on the logo below for all the info. you'll need from Leila on her Three Dresses Project blog).
So I started thinking about red in Doctor Who, and blimey there's a lot of it.
In the top pic are just a handful of reds used in the Doctor's and companions clothing (I'm already kicking myself I forgot Sarah Jane's dungarees). We have:
- Rory the Roman, seen various times but my favourite is this from A Good Man Goes to War (2011 S6:Ep7)
- Amy from The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone (2010 S5:Eps4-5)
- Clara (she really likes red...as you'll see) from Bells of St John (2013 S7:Ep7)
- OK, this is a cheat, but there are red Daleks and I like this interpretation from Her Universe
- Rory's stag party sweatshirt from Vampire of Venice (2010 S5:Ep6)
- Clara's dress from Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS (2013 S7:Ep11)
- Jamie McCrimmon's kilt (usually seen in black & white with the 2nd Doctor)
- Martha's red leather jacket (The Shakespeare Code 2007 S3:Ep2) and the 10th Doctor's red converse hi-tops
- Karen Gillan as a Sibylline Sister before she was Amy Pond in the Fires of Pompeii (2008 S4:Ep2)
- Clara the barmaid from The Snowmen (2012 S7:Ep6)
- Oswin from the Asylum of the Daleks (2012 S7:Ep1)
- Clara (told you she liked red) from Nightmare in Silver (2013 S7:Ep13)
- Miss Mercy Hartigan from The Next Doctor, the 2008 Christmas special (love this dress....if I had more time....)
- The 3rd Doctor's flamboyant cape lining seen in Spearhead from Space (1970 S7)
- Again the 3rd Doctor, who wore this red jacket in Terror of the Autons (1971 S8)
- AND who could forget/ignore the 11th Doctor's bowtie and fez? Seen most prominently in The Big Bang (2010 S5:Ep13).
And those of you who've been reading Fanbloomingtastic for a while know I'm a bit of a fan using red in my sewing....
So the plan is....and I hope this works, to make an Oswin's Asylum of the Daleks dress, which will be very useful as Phoenix is finally getting into the low 80s (AT LAST).
I'm not totally sure about this because I IN NO WAY have Jenna's/Oswin's legs (mine will be longer...the dress, not my legs....I don't plan to use a rack) and my body type would usually be told to steer away from clingy straight knits.....but you know what I'm like when people tell me what to do..... ;)
The neckline is interesting, sort of asymmetric....and I'll be attempting something like it (hopefully) based on McCalls 6395....but don't worry I'll post all the make details, trials and tribulations when it's done. I'll also link to other's around the internet who've made their own versions.
And I'll also be making a toolbelt, because EVERYONE NEEDS A TOOLBELT...... especially as we're still finishing up the kitchen, but Oswin's is really weedy and wouldn't hold Spike my wrecking bar or my hammer, so I'm not going to be cos-play perfect, just 'inspired by' and making something slightly more fun. You'll see.
Though I have to say I'm tempted about being more accurate with Oswin's apron and oven gloves.....especially as Spoonflower are selling a cut and sew version designed by Jennofalltrades. An apron would hide a multitude of wobblys underneath....or I could always wear my Jessie the Cowgirl apron.
Aaaaaanyway, I'd better get sewing hadn't I? I hope the above might have inspired you to make something red for Red October or for the Doctor Who Sew Along (or both)....but don't worry if red isn't your colour, I've got a whole load of TARDIS dress inspirations coming your way later this week.