It's that time of year again, the voting is open on the 21st Century Burlesque Magazine's Burlesque Top 50 of 2011. Time to try and whittle down our long lists of burlesque performers, academics, legends, writers, stage managers, volunteers, comperes/emcees, maids/stage kittens, teachers, promoters, producers, film makers, convention organisers, festival creators etc (did I leave anyone out?) in fact anyone we think has had an influence on making our beloved art form that little bit more special in 2011.
I've hit send on my 10 choices.....shall I tease you with some facts about my faves for 2011?
My 10 choices include:
- 3 blokes
- 14 people in total
- 1 troupe
- Amazingly only 1 redhead
- 1 duo
- 1 living legend
- 1 posthumous vote for a legend
- At least 3 who are/were over 48 years old
- 6 who've won titles at Burlesque Hall of Fame weekends
- 2 who run the best burlesque convention in the world ;)
- 1 vote for a routine that blew me away at BurlyCon 2011 and made me realise I had to seriously up my game
- 2 that blew my mind with routines at the Burlesque Hall of Fame this summer and made me realise I had to seriously up my game...
- 3 non-Americans (this I feel bad about, but having only 10 votes and living in USA now I've only seen UK burlesque on youtube and burlesque on youtube never blows you away like seeing live performances)
- However, 14 people from countries that have been part of the British Empire (giggles naughtily)
- 13 who do neo-burlesque
- At least 5 who do classic burlesque
- 5 with 3-part names
- 2 regular emcees/comperes
- 8 who teach classes to burlesquers
- 1 who has stars in her name (yeah I know.....I'm a rubbish tease)
- 1 who uses an exclamation mark in his name (as I said, rubbish)
- At least 3 who've appeared in movies about burlesque
- At least 2 who do performance art as well as burlesque
- At least 2 who use circus skills within their performances
- 8 who I've talked about on this blog or it's sister blog Absobloominglutely
Is that enough clues? ;)
As I say, I'm sad that I have to narrow down all the amazing people I've seen, read, met this year from our wonderfully creative and diverse art, but it twas the law :( I'm also sad that because I've been in USA and been so inspired by some fabulous Americans I might be seen as letting the British side down with not enough Brits in my list. I definitely feel sad I haven't included enough off-stage movers and shakers....ah well.
However, I'm really happy that 21st Century Burlesque Magazine despite the huge amount of work it is to compile the Top 50 from thousands of votes, have decided to run the List for the 3rd year running as it is an incredible resource to see and find out about the best of the best in burlesque.
OK, off you go now, go vote for your top 10: